These easy to make, filling Bean Burritos are a wonderful quick meal and require minimal clean-up too! As always, I recommend purchasing the highest quality (low sodium and organic, if possible) ingredients you can find. This recipe yields approximately six medium size burritos.
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 cup of mixed peppers and onions
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 package of steam-in-bag rice, cooked to package directions, or about 2.5 cups cooked rice
- 1 can of Black or Red Kidney Beans
- 1 package of medium size tortillas (room temperature or warm)
- Condiments of your choice- shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, onion, guacamole, pico de gallo, corn, olives, hot sauce, etc.
Heat the olive oil and bay leaf in medium pot on the stovetop and add the peppers and onions to sauté. When the peppers and onions are cooked through, add the salsa and rice and then mix well. Lower the temperature on the stove; rinse and drain the beans and add them to the mixture and stir well. Cover and continue to cook on low for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the bay leaf, place about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of the mixture onto a tortilla; then add your desired condiments, fold and enjoy!
Now, what about those leftovers?? Breeze through breakfast by reheating (without overheating) the mixture, either by stovetop or microwave. Next, plate the mixture, add your desired condiments, top with an egg prepared your favorite way and garnish with cilantro or parsley. Serve with a warm tortilla and enjoy!